Posts Tagged ‘SharePoint’

Installing SharePoint 2010 ENT and got error on installing Sync Framework 1.0

Just finished installing a fresh server with SharePoint 2010 Enterprise so an employee could look at the business intelligence dashboard stuff. While doing the install, I received an error about the MS Sync Framework 1.0 failing which caused the whole thing to screech to a halt. It would appear that I installed the .NET 4.0 stuff via Windows Updates which caused the .NET 1.0 Sync Framework to puke on me. Thankfully, MS had a hotfix for that which resolved my issue. You can see the Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 listed on SharePoint 2010’s HW & SW requirements list.

After I manually installed the hotfix, the “Install software prerequisites” continued and I had the SharePoint 2010 site up and running before lunch!

SharePoint DCOM issue appearing in the System Event logs

At work, we’ve installed SharePoint servers a couple of times. A reoccurring issue, is a permissions issue that appears in the event logs as Event ID: 10016 or 10017 but doesn’t seem to effect SharePoint performance. We just recently installed SharePoint 2010 and I decided to chase these errors down since it’s annoying and fills up the log files. Seems the local domain account you create to run specific SharePoint services during the initial installation don’t have specific permissions for local activation.

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
to the user SOMEDOMAIN\SOMEUSERACCOUNT_SVC SID (S-1-5-21-BLAHBLAHBALHBLAH) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

So if you run off to the Component Services, find the offending CLSID object and right click->properties, hit the Security tab to allow this account to run this DCOM object it’s greyed out!

You’ve apparently got to find it in the registry first (should be “Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\YOUR_CLASSID_HERE.”)

Once found, right click the key in the left pane and goto permissions. From there, you’ll want to take ownership of the registry object from the Trusted Installer which will allow you, the admin, to change its’ security permissions w/in the dcomcnfg application.

Now that’s done, open up the “DCOM Config” node of the local computer, find your AppID GUID, right click and select properties. Now select the Security tab and change your Launch & Activation Permissions for your domain account that’s generating your error.

As always, here’s some links to explain:

Return top
Icons made by Freepik from is licensed by CC BY 3.0